Monday, January 25, 2010

Heather Bailey Scrap Flower!



So I seen this interview/tutorial months ago, and have been meaning to try it and finally today was the day! Initially my plan was to make this flower to jazz up one of my daughters singlets - so I went with the small sized flower. The flower is super easy to make - although it did take me longer than the 10 minutes Heather suggests in the interview  :-)   You only need a scrap piece of fabric, some felt circles, a button, scissors and a needle and thread! Visit the tutorial for instructions on how to make the flower - it can be made in 3 different sizes.

So how did it go? Well I think I pulled the fabric too tight to make the flower, and hence I have more folds in the fabric than Heather's pictures do. It also made the flower quite high: 3/4 inch as shown below. So I guess I could either not pull it as tight, or probably next time I will shorten the length of the strip I use. I also think I will change the diameters of the felt circles so that there is an evenish space between the fabric and two layers of felt.

So what did I do with it? Well as I said, it was going to decorate a pink singlet of my daughter's, however I then realised that a 15 month year old would just try to pull it off! It wouldn't last long at all. So I decided to add it to my plain old black hairband. Often when I am at home I simply throw my hairback in a ponytail and put a hairband on at the front. At least now I can feel a little stylish! I will definately be making more of these. I might also add a pin to the back so they can be added to skirts, tops, a handbag, one of Emily's hat, hair clips, the options are endless!

Thanks for the tutorial Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment